Thambiluvil Madhya Maha Vidyalayam in its Golden
Jubilee Year (1958-2008)
Madhya Maha Vidyalaya, the largest educational institution in
the East catering for the educational needs of the region,
celebrates its Golden Jubilee this year.
missionaries brought vast changes in the field of education
during the British period. This reflected in Thambiluvil too;
the Christians set up schemes for Boys' and Girls' namely the
East school and West school of Thambiluvil.
school of Thambiluvil was established in 1958 where students
above Grade 5 from the above school pursued their studies.
Somasundaram was the founder principal of this school. As this
junior school was unable to accommodate the increasing numbers
of students, a Maha Vidyalaya was established in the same
locality. This school with one building catered for the
secondary educational needs of 250 students from Thambiluvil
East and West schools and Thirukkovil Methodist Mission
Vidyalaya, upto their O/Ls. The teaching staff consisted of 5
teachers who mainly taught Arts subjects such as Tamil Language,
Tamil Literature, History, Geography and Arithmetic.
In 1961, during
the period of Mr. S. Leena as principal, another building was
erected. Mr. C. Kanapathipillai composed the school anthem. The
science stream for G.C.E. O/L students and the A/L Arts stream
were initiated. Graduate teachers from outstations were
appointed. The dedication and commitment by Mr. S. Leena, the
great disciplinarian, laid a solid foundation that developed the
In A/L Arts
stream, teachers Mr. R. S. Nadarajah, Mr. Yogan Velupillai, Mr.
A. J. Kanagaretnam, Mr. S. Kanagaretnam worked in union. They
reaped the results of their tireless services when Mr. S.
Ponnuthurai achieved the entrance to the University in 1964. In
1965 Mr. S. Seevarefram, Mr. A. Ganeshamoorthy and Mr. A.
Sivathasan were selected for university. Mr. S. Leena is still
remembered as a 'Lighthouse' of Thambiluvil Village. The past
pupils of Mr. R. S. Nadarajah have nourishing memories of him.
This period was
considered a Golden Era in the history of the school. Success in
G.C.E. O/L examination results was also on its peak then. The
fields of sports and Arts and Literature were also taught well.
Pararajasingham assumed duties in 1969. There was no significant
progress in the field of education during his period as he
served only for a brief period. Mr. M. Sachithananda Sivam
followed him in office from 1970. This deciplinarian offered his
dedicated services with extreme concern and commitment. Students
secured university entrances in Science and Arts Streams. He
encouraged the Sports and students of the school achieved places
in National Level competitions. Mr. P. Sathasivam, Mr. J.
Jayarajasingham, Mr. A. Ganeshamoorthy, Mr. R. Nesarajah, Mr. P.
Sivapiragasam and Mr. S. Thavarajah followed him in office with
students excelling in their performances in O/L and A/L
examinations, University entrance and extra curricular
activities during the period of the above principals. Mr. V.
Jayanthan has been serving as principal since 2000. Since then,
the school has been undergoing rapid development in all aspects.
The number of
teaching staff has increased above 60 and the number of student
also exceeded to 1600. Many upstairs buildings, a computer
centre, Girl's Hostel with English medium education were
established during this period.
Jubilee celebrations were inaugurated by a distinguish Past
Pupil, H. H. Swami Nithyananda Saraswathy recently. Teachers who
served in the school and retired from their services before
6/10/2008 were felicitated as a part of the Golden Jubilee
- Sunday Observer